Friday, February 16, 2007

Because you made your bed, now lay in it?

Well, I'm officially 20. I'm not sure what expectations I had in terms of turning 20 in Africa. Since I've been here, I feel like I've been steadily growing older-- a little every single day. This past week I GREW UP A LOT.

Last weekend, a group of us went away to Kokrobite, a beach about two hours away from Labone. We stayed in this really cheap hotel ($7/night), which was a pretty decent place to stay despite how disgusting the bathroom was. We got there pretty late on Saturday, but the rest was just a good drunken high time. It was an apt getaway considering how crummy I had been feeling since that Wednesday.

Carrie Bradshaw was right; a break really is just "a hop, skip, and a week away from a break up." I think I am just trying to reconcile with the fact that I dated a really good high school friend for six months and in a month's time, he had transformed himself into a stranger. My heart wasn't as broken as much as my mind was blown.

Something else happened in a month's time since I've been in Accra. I've realized the following things about myself:
1. I am a phenomenal woman
2. I am stronger than I was a year ago
3. Can't think of a third realization :/

Some would agree with me, others might think I am delusional. I am how I feel: a phenomenal twenty year-old woman, that's me.




Classes are going well. I thoroughly enjoy my Traditional African Dance class; if I am not dripping sweat by the first 15 minutes, then I am not putting enough into the dance. My art classes are fantastic. Today, for my Envisaging Accra class, a few of us went to Larry Otoo's studio and did some sketches. We're going back next week to paint his portrait. Last week, Jesse Ariel Henry and I particpated in the 'Saving Accra's Roots' project. Fourteen trees (which were imported from India way back when) were cut off near Cantonments Roundabout, and we got to paint banners for the tree funeral as a form as protest. They were erected the next day and are still there. It's awesome that we got to take part in it. I've missed Art.

The only class I don't love is my Conflicts in African States class mainly because I can't understand the professor (he pronounces Charles Taylor like Chaztilla...) and the Ashesi boys are ridiculous (except for a few).

Tomorrow, I go back to Nsawam (Eastern region) with Danae to visit Eric and the girls. They're the sweetest girls and very talented dancers. I'm excited. Next weekend, excursion to Kumasi which means another blog and a shitload of pictures. Until then, I hope everyone is happy and healthy back home.

"Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none."