Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Someday I'll be coming home...

...that someday being next Sunday, May 20th. 10:35P.M. Where did the last five months go? I'm not sure why I'm even surprised that it's almost time to leave. I've always known that time flies by without any warning, yet it always catches me offguard anyhow.

For my Envisaging Accra class, we were expected to keep "visual diaries" to record the city of Accra and our interactions with it. Thinking that my personal journal was inappropriate (especially since they were to be on display at an art exhibit), I tried to keep a separate journal. I found myself literally forcing myself to write some bullshit entries accompanied with doodles that not even a five year old would call art. Finally, I said, "What the fuck. I am going to use my personal journal, and I will continue to write about whatever the hell I want to and not give a fuck what people will think when they read." That's not exactly what I said to myself, but it is exactly what I did.

Last week during our art show, visitors had a chance to look at our visual diaries. Although I don't think too many people read my entries, it was pretty much all out there. Everything from feeling alienated from my peers to my naive expectations of Scott to my fatal and futile attraction to Chris to shitting in a bag and bringing it in to church (no, I didn't want to do it and I've never said I was a classy gal). Other components of my visual diary included sonograms, Scott's entertaining email, Keith postcards from Paris and Barcelona, and of course, sketches.

When I read back on the earlier entries, I am glad to see that I was wrong. It simply shows that I have grown, even if just a little, and that I've learned.


JANUARY 17, 2007
...The homesickness has kicked in. I've been here for nine days and already if given the option I would fly home tomorrow. I'm not too surprised that I am feeling this way. I am, however, wishing that it will pass soon. I am in Ghana for five months. This is an amazing experience that many people will never have. Being homesick makes the five months seem very long, but in truth, it certainly is not. Before I know it, we will all be living Accra in May.


FEBRUARY 20, 2007
It is 11:05 P.M on a Tuesday night. I'm in the living room, and Deborah is sleeping on the spare mattress. Jessi is writing a paper and listening to some Electronica (?) I have traditional Dance tomorrow morning even though my muscles are still sore from the last session.

I wanted to write tonight because I am really content with life. I have $21 in my checking account. Scott just turned into an ex-boyfriend AND ex-bestfriend. I live in a tenement building with my parents in Chinatown. And I am really content. What more could I possibly want that I do not have? I have a beautiful family. Friends who love me. Sisters who are there for me no matter what. An education at a "top" university. I am healthy. I have a home. I am not hungry. My family is healthy, and we all love each other.

I'm just really enjoying my time here in Accra. I'm appreciating it for what it is and what it is not as well as acknowledging what I love about New York City.

My life and the people I have in it are so good.
Nothing is missing anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll probably write one more time before I jet. Hopefully, it will be something of substance unlike all my other entries.

Thank you JESSI and AHMED for reading!


Pictures from our farewell dinner: