Thursday, January 11, 2007



Has it really only been five days since I arrived? Feels so much longer. It still has not hit me that I am going to be here for the next five months. Orientation has made the trip so far seem long and repetitive, but in a few short days we're all going to be starting our classes at the NYU academic center, Ashesi University, and the University of Ghana. I'm really looking forward to a lot of these classes. It is so nice to take a break from nursing and to just take all electives. I'm especially looking forward to the two art classes... it has been way too long.

Being an Asian in Ghana is very interesting. Everyone always mentions the experience of a foreigner (or an 'abruni,' if you will) but that term mainly applies to Caucasians, or at least in my humble opinion. I took a walk around my neighborhood a few days ago and it was very obvious that the Ghanaians were surprised to see me. They'll stop and ask if I am from China or if I am Japanese. But let's be honest: that happens even in New York City, but the big difference is that the Ghanaians are all very friendly and endearing, for the most part. Everyone is always waving and asking you how you are doing. My neighbors are so pleasant that it is hard to be annoyed even when they are looking at me like I have a penis on my forehead.

It is very different seeing children who have little to nothing on almost every road. Back in New York City, I'm used to seeing white brats with their American Girl dolls (yes, I said it). It is refreshing in a way, but in truth, it is beyond depressing. I think I am more sensitive than most people (that's a bad thing, I think). The other day when these young beggars chased the van and wouldn't let go of my window has led me to think that maybe I am not strong (?) enough for Africa. I'm trying to define what that means, even for myself.

Dr. Yaw said something the other day that moved me: "People can challenge your knowledge, but they cannot challenge your experience." I'm not sure how the next five months will play out. I could love it or hate it, but regardless the experience is my own.