Friday, January 19, 2007



It's about 4:36 a.m (which mean 11:36 p.m EST back in New York City), and I am still awake. I've been having more trouble than usual falling asleep; if I'm not going over what happened during the day in my head, I'm busying myself thinking about New York City. I have to get up early in the morning to get my ID card at the University of Ghana, which means I won't be getting much sleep anyway. Who needs sleep anyway? You can sleep when you die, as they say.

It has almost been two weeks since I've arrived in Accra. The first days were, by far, the most exciting days I have ever experienced. It was just a wonderful feeling being so far away from home in another world that is so different. The next few days, however, sucked ass. I had a fever that refused to go down and after the third day of being sick in bed, Chris (my CRA) decided that it was time for me to go to the hospital. I'm pretty sure the determining factor for the hospital trip was me vomitting twice in the morning and falling asleep near the toilet. Anyway. Richmond, our lovely driver (or maybe it was the other driver-- I was pretty out of it) took us to Nyaho Medical Center. The other patients were pretty intrigued by my presence as well as Chris being my company. Chris nearly gave me a panic attack when he told me that I had to get tested for malaria. I wasn't scared of the test itself, I was more afraid of the results.

The aid who drew my blood made me feel very uncomfortable, but I've been told that it is the norm here. He noticed that I was dizzy (clearly from the armstrap being too tight around my arm), but suggested that I calm down and talk to him like he was my "sweetheart." Then there were some movements that involved him moving his crotch a little too close to me. I don't want to draw too detailed of a picture, but I am not exaggerating. One cannot imagine the inappropriate manner of some of the men here unless he or she experiences firsthand (HOWEVER, you might have had a few similar experiences if you take the F train). And the fact that I have undetectable veins in my arms did not help. It took him a very long time to draw about 10 mL of blood, and by the time he was done- I couldn't see straight. After three very long hours, the results came back negative. I got tested for malaria and came back positive for a UTI. Whatever. I'm just thankful.

Since then, I have fully recovered and have been taking pretty good care of myself. I'm going to take advantage of these five months. When I left New York, I felt very tired and uninspired; hopefully, it will be different when I return. I can already feel a change happening.

Classes started on Tuesday. As of now, I am taking History of the Atlantic Slave Trade, African Art: Past & Present, Envisaging Accra, and Conflicts in the African States. I originally wanted to take drumming and dancing courses at Legon, but being that the registration process makes me cringe and the time schedules do not work well with mine, I am only going to be taking classes at the NYU academic center and Ashesi University. Not too big of a loss, especially since I plan to take outside drumming lessons with Thelma. It feels really refreshing to step away from Nursing for just a bit and to explore things that I normally would not get to explore (i.e African art and dance).

It took me a while, but I finally learned how to walk from Abafun (my residence) to the academic center, as well as Osu (the busy city area). That's kind of exciting because it means now I can explore more without being scared of getting lost. Then again, being scared can be a good thing (as well as getting lost).

The homesickness has finally begun to dwindle. For a day, I felt really depressed, but I definitely take it as part of the experience. Not only am I no longer in my old comfort zone, I'm also in Africa. And for a moment, I forgot why I chose Africa or to study abroad at all. Now I am able to easily recall my many reasons for choosing Ghana; I won't go over them, but the important thing is that the reasons still hold true. I am not going to be in Africa for very long. Before I know it, it will already be May and I will be boarding a plane headed to Newark. I am going to appreciate every day I get to spend here because I will never get these days back. Ghana, thusfar, has been wonderful, and the people here are all so friendly. No matter how dismal some of the situations here may seem, the Ghanaians are still very proud and strong people. I have a lot of respect for them.


Our first night in Accra! We had just gotten off the plane and through customs. The majority of us look like pure crap :)