Tuesday, January 30, 2007

While still in New York City, I was determined to gain as much weight as I possibly could thinking that I was going to lose most of it in Ghana. Scott told me not to be so sure of that, and he was right because here I am writing on blogspot after finishing my fourth grilled cheese sandwich. FOURTH.

There isn't much to update on. Over the past three weeks, I have fallen in love with Ghana. Life here is pretty sweet. After my African Art class, I can just walk down the long road to Aunti Adjoa and have her cut up a pineapple for me for 5000 cedis (that's roughly 50 cents). Dinner everyday from Monday-Friday Tante Marie's followed by dessert. When I feel like relaxing, I can just go out on my balcony and read while sunbathing.

The Ghanaians are very, very friendly; however, their attitudes about my nationality are quite similar to the ones I normally get in the city except with different intentions. For example, I can never be from New York City. No. Really, where are you from? New York City. Korea? No.

Normally, this shit would piss the fuck out of me back in the city, but I have to remember this isn't New York City and these aren't my usual neighbors. I'm sure most of them don't mean to offend, but it sure can get a little annoying while I'm walking in Osu and men call out "Korea!" or "Konichiwa" and I smile and I say "I'm not Japanese."

Professor Pham's APA class that I took in the Fall opened my eyes to a lot of things. Knowledge is power, and now that I have (some of) it, I don't know what to do with it.

I went to the New Horizons Special School today to begin my volunteer application process. I really hope that the lack of productivity I observed today was because we went during their lunch/recess. Many of the students were just sitting around waiting for people to give them attention. It's a little intimidating for me even after having volunteered with mentally and physically children for two years. I think I'm especially nervous with the adults because I want to support not pity, but sometimes I am not always aware of how others may receive me. I'm hoping to help them with arts and crafts for the obvious reasons, and also because the director of the program said, "Are you from Japan? You people are very good with your hands." In NYC, I would've flipped a shit. Not here, though. This is Ghana.

Being so far away from home has affected me greatly. Instead of missing the things I used to do, I really miss all the things that I stopped doing or never started. While at La Badi Beach with the girls, I had this longing to prepare a nice meal for my mom and have a picnic in Battery Park. That will be one of the first things I do when I get back. We also have to go to the Museum of Natural History because my mom loves to see snakes even though she's so terrified of them she used to scream whenever Annmary or I would wave one of those wooden ones you get off of Canal Street.

We take too many things for granted. Frank McCourt's Tis has possibly replaced Tuesdays with Morrie for me. There's a character who's angry at those who take breathing for granted because he has asthma. If everybody had asthma, no one would ever take another breath for granted. Very few people are aware of and thankful for their blessings. Hardly anyone ever stops to be grateful for the ability to breathe, but it is still a nice thought. My mom always used to say, "You are luckier than a lot of people. You can walk. You can run. You can do anything you want while some people will never have that chance." I guess that is why when people come to me with their "problems," I remind them that a lot of people have it a lot worse. It may come off as me being bitchy and insensitive, but it is what it is and it is the truth.