Wednesday, March 28, 2007

There is nothing more appropriate than writing on my blogspot especially when I have a paper for African Art due tomorrow.

I spent the past weekend at the Appiahs' in Kwashieman for the homestay. I was expecting two things: a modest home, and awkward conversations. Modest home? Not according to Ghanaian standards. They owned a huge house AND a complex- which was named after the wife, Agnes. Awkward conversations? There were hardly any. I got along considerably well with the Appiahs. There was only a little awkwardness whenever someone found out that I am from the states. The conversation would go something like this:

Me: Oh, I am from the U.S
X: Oh, that's nice! I want to go to the United States.
Me: Yeah, and I want to stay oh Ghana...
X; OH! Please, I beg you- bring me with you to America.
Me: Uh........
*Cricket sounds in the background*

Let's see. On Saturday, we went to a wedding. The bride was absolutely gorgeous. It was a little uncomfortable being the conspicuous Obruni. On top of that, I felt almost intrusive with my camera, but no one seemed to mind. (This picture is of Aunti Aggie praising the Lord)

There was no power or water later that night. Growing up and living in a tenement building, I have gotten used to not having those things periodically. HOWEVER, that night was one that I will not forget. The entire day I had sweat so much (which is what happens all day everyday) so by the end of the night, I could feel a thick film of grime on my face and body. I could smell myself and I smelled like a urinal. No fan meant attack of the mosquitos. When I woke up in the middle of the night, there was a rat in the tub. Good times.

The next day, Derrick (one of the older sons) took me to Church. If Hell does exist, I am more convinced than ever that that is where I am going considering the fact that I brought a bag of shit with me into the House of God. It was my first time attending Church... I only enjoyed the choir because one of the lead singers sounded like Mariah Carey (and he was a man, so I was pretty darn impressed!). I wonder if Ghanaians know that Jesus was black? And that Christianity condones slavery?

Switching topics now. I haven't done anatomy drawings since junior year of high school so when Lizzy volunteered to model for me, I was thrilled. Have to say it was awkard for the first two minutes as she laid buck naked on the floor-- not to mention Deborah was watching happily on my bed. Aaaaand to top it off, we watched her __________ _________ off on the webcam. My life is kind of obscene- and I like it! Anyhoo, here's one of my favorite sketches:
It is good to know that my four years at LaGuardia were not in vain :D I'm starting a new painting of Mr. Tego and Kofi's studio in Nima.

This weekend, we are doing a Habitat build, which I am really excited about!

It's John's 20th birthday today, and we all went out to Celsbridge to celebrate. Here's to turning 20 in Ghana!