Friday, April 13, 2007

If ever I am afraid of something minute, I'll just remind myself, "Hey, remember that time you traveled six hours out of Accra on your own?"

Well, I did it. I traveled to the Volta Region by myself during Easter Break! It was pretty nerve-wracking. I felt the same way I felt when I flew to London alone (nearly three months ago). I left Accra at around 10 am and boarded a tro-tro with approximately 37 others. My row, which was designed for five people, now seated seven- two kids and five adults (two of which had apple bottoms and very wide hips). A claustrophobic person would not have survived in this tro-tro (or any tro-tro, for that matter). I was pretty nervous about traveling a far distance in a tro-tro since every ride is sort of a gamble with death (I'm 75% serious). My fear was only intensified when a man stood up just as the van started to move, and he said a very long prayer in Twi. Though I have mixed feelings about God, you can be sure that I said, "Amen," at the end of the prayer anyway.

When I arrived in Ho, it was around 2 pm... and pouring. I went about town in the rain looking for a chop bar (I had a craving for fufu, and I was starving). Well, everything was closed because of Easter. Disappointed and hungry, I returned to the tro-tro station and retreated in some lady's shop and waited for the rain to stop. It didn't, and I wanted to get to Hohoe before dark so I decided to leave and purchase a ticket to my next destination. That's when I met Evans. Within fifteen minutes of meeting me, he felt that it was appropriate to tell me that he enjoys fucking a lot. Where do these people come from?? (Kumasi, apparently!) He asked me the usual questions: where I'm from, if I'm a "real" American, whether I had a boyfriend, etc. When he got really persistent, I told him that I hated all men and women, and that the only one I love is God. Still, the boy did not give up and asked if he could go to Hohoe with me. I found it interesting that he wanted to marry a white woman and by white, he meant "Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, 'whatever'" On the topic of race, I told him that the image of a "real" American is not real at all because America is many different colors. He pretended like he understood. I also told him that he asks way too many questions, and that he was giving me a headache. When he finally left, he said, "I love you... or I like you. Which one do you want it to be?" I told him, "Leave! Goodbye!" It was the bitch from New York City talking... a cold, wet, and hungry bitch.

Hohoe was farther than I thought. When we finally got there, it was getting dark. Populated by mostly Muslims and Ewes, I found the people more conservative and less friendly than my neighbors in Accra (I'm probably a little biased, too). People were hissing at me from left to right (hissing is a norm here when you want to get someone's attention). From all directions, I received nicknames like "Korea" and "Japan"-- I even got a "Shaolin." I hailed a cab headed to the Grand Hotel, and when I got there, there were no rooms left. I freaked out a little. I tried the Matvin Hotel. Luckily, they had a room for me, but I think I was the only one in the entire hotel. They had to open the restuarant for me. From afar, I could hear chanting and praying. I was pretty afraid during the entire night, and had to ask myself what I was thinking when I decided to go to the Volta Region alone.

Rain and Easter shortened my trip; I wasn't able to do a lot of the things I intended (i.e visit the kente village), but I'm glad I decided to do it. Traveling by myself was a big deal to me. People tend to think that I am limited because I am a little Asian girl- even I am guilty of that at times. But really, I am only small in size, but big in everything else. Mr. Tego told me he thought I was nuts. Growing up, my overly protective mom never gave me any chances to explore. She did all she could to prevent me from getting hurt, but a lot of the times she failed to realize that I wanted (maybe even needed) to get hurt. I guess my trip to the Volta Region was really to prove to myself and disbelievers that I am able.

If ever I am afraid of something minute, I'll just remind myself, "Hey, remember that time you traveled six hours out of Accra on your own?"